Editor's (my) NotesSome highlights from the past year:
- I heard one last year's winner told his/her colleagues to stay away from me if they are not wearing nice clothes.
- Another last year's winner told me that this list directs a big chunk of traffic to his homepage.
- Only a small fraction of women's clothes sold in the stores are great for CS academia, while most men's clothes are acceptable. I didn't realize this until this year, so maybe many people didn't think about this either. In the hotel elevator at EMNLP this year, I overheard a male student expressing his disapproval over a dress his group mate was wearing. Whether you are a man or a woman, I think this article "Coding Like a Girl" will worth a read.
-- Wei Xu Dec 11, 2015
Top 10 (in alphabetical order)
- Dirk Hovy earned it this year by his three piece suit. Normally it would have been toooo overdressed, but somehow, probably his full package (hair + personality + whatever) just makes you (at least me) feel right about it.
- Jacob Eisenstein THE hipster of NLP.
- Lillian Lee You may see for yourself -- here's a video of her giving keynote at NAACL.
- Luke Zettlemoyer for his man bun. I also like Noah Smith's suggestion of a tiny fedora.
- Marine Carpuat master of blazer.
- Mark Yatskar not only pulled off a man bun look, but then a shaved head!
- Marlies van der Wees the youngest on the list. I noticed her work/talk first at ACL then floral pants at EMNLP.
- Matt Post I guess I declared Jacob to be the hipster too fast. This is THE other one.
- Yejin Choi when I was unsure about what to wear, I referred to her as my inspiration.
- [Empty Slot] ... I haven't been able to make 10 for the list of most humorous NLP researchers yet, either. I so far have Ray Mooney for that, also John DeNero, Kevin Knight, Lillian Lee and Yoav Artzi.
- Anders Søgaard subtle almost a bit mysterious
- Chris Callison-Burch Half of me thinks it is unfair to put him on the list, since I work with him; half of me thinks it is also unfair to not put him on the list. Readers, you make your own judgement.
- Kathy McKeown master of dress.
- Kevin Knight has a good and interesting taste (saw him in a culture icon T-shirt at NAACL), and seems to like to go freestyle for some other days.
- William Yang Wang I think I paid more attention to what we were talking about than his clothes. They're usually good --- keep watching.
- Adam Lopez (same as above)
- Amittai Axelrod (same as above)
- Claire Cardie (same as above)
- Dan Jurafsky (same as above)
- Dekai Wu (same as above)
- Jonathan Berant (same as above)
- Pascale Fung (same as above)
- Rebecca Hwa (same as above)